2. Palisade- a fence of pales forming a defense barrier or fortification.
3. Paling- fence made of pales or pickets.
4. Pale- stake or pointed stick; picket; enclosing area.
5. Beseech- request urgently; implore.
6. Aloft- in or into a high place.
7. Comely- pleasing in appearance; attractive.
8. Corbel- a stone bracket projecting from the face of a wall and used to support a cornice or arch.
9. Cornice- a horizontal molded projection that crowns or completes a building or wall.
10. Turrets- a small tower-shaped projection on a building projecting armored structure rotating horizontally containing guns.
11. Tiers- one of a series of rows placed one above another.
12. Spires- a top point or part that tapers upward.
13. Filigree- delicate and intricate ornamental work made from gold, silver, and other fine twisted wire.
14. Gable- triangular end section of a wall between the two slopes of a pitched roof.
15. Pinnacles- small turret or spire on a roof or buttress. tall pointed formation.
16. Panoply- splendid or striking array, something that covers and protects.
17. Errant- roving, especially in search of adventure.
18. Proffered- offer for acceptance.
19. Portals- doorway or entrance.
20. Stalwart- pysically strong; sturdy.
Definitions from: The American Heritage Dictionary.
Third Edition. New York: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1994.
Back to Main Page