Mainframe Computing Resources
System z Courseware
- Introduction to System z Mini-Boot Camp course modules (including the assessments). [If your web browser cannot play a module, click on its "Download" link to download the module's zip file to your hard disk, unzip the module in a folder, and then double-click on file "play.html" in the module's new folder to play the module on your PC. Refer to What to do if you get Flash security warning when you play the course modules? to resolve the Flash security warning.]
System z Mini-Boot Camp Lab Manual
System z Mini-Boot Camp Lab Datasets (already installed on the lab mainframe, for your reference only)
IBM Redbook: Introduction to the New Mainframe: z/OS Basics, August 2009
Lab Manual for IBM Redbook: Introduction to the New Mainframe: z/OS Basics
Slides for IBM Redbook: Introduction to the New Mainframe: z/OS Basics
- Overview and orientation. [Download]
- Mainframe hardware systems and high availability. [Download]
- z/OS overview. [Download]
- Interactive facilities on z/OS: TSO/E, ISPF, UNIX. [Download]
- Working with datasets. [Download]
- JCL and SDSF. [Download]
- Batch processing and JES. [Download]
- Designing and developing applications for z/OS. [Download]
- Using programming languages on z/OS. [Download]
- Compiling and binding a program on z/OS. [Download]
- z/OS system programming. [Download]
- Security on z/OS. [Download]
- Networking on z/OS. [Download]
Slides with audio for selected chapters of IBM Redbook: Introduction to the New Mainframe: z/OS Basics [Install Java JRE or JDK on your workstation. Download the slide jar files to your hard disk, and double-click on them to play the slides with audio.]
- Chapter 1.
- Chapter 2A.
- Chapter 2B.
- Chapter 3.
- Chapter 4.
- Chapter 5.
- Chapter 6.
- Chapter 7.
- Chapter 8.
- Chapter 9.
- Chapter 10.
- Chapter 11.
- Chapter 12.
- Chapter 13.
- Chapter 14.
- Chapter 15.
- Chapter 16A.
- Chapter 16B.
- Chapter 17.
- Chapter 18.
- Chapter 19.
- Week 0: A z/OS Walking Tour.
- Week 1: The New Mainframe.
- Week 2: Hardware systems and LPARs.
- Week 4: Introduction to Job Control Language (JCL).
- Week 5: Introduction to Work Load Manager (WLM).
- Week 6: Introduction to DB2 for z/OS.
- Week 7: Communications Server for z/OS.
- Week 8: WebSphere Message Queue (MQ) and Message Broker (MB).
- Week 9: z/OS HTTP Server.
System z Challenges
- Master the Mainframe Contest 2010 (student registration begins on September 7, 2010; contest runs October 4 - December 28, 2010)
- IBM System z Mastery Test (For a limited time, the IBM Academic Initiative is offering the IBM System z Mastery test (a $95 value) at no charge. This worldwide opportunity ends December 2010. Don't miss out!)
Other System z Resources
Home Education Professional Experience Research Teaching Dissertation Supervision Selected Links
Copyright ©2010 Lixin Tao