Pervasive Telemedicine System
A telemedicine system transmits medical information using videoconferencing equipment
and several telemedical peripherals.
We will build a prototype telemedicine system at Pace between the Nursing School
and a remote site on campus.
With telemedicine a patient does not have to go to a hospital
and endure a possibly long wait to see a doctor.
Instead, the patient can explain his or her symptoms to a doctor via a networked computer.
This requires designing good graphical user interfaces and medical peripherals
(vital sign monitor, electronic stethoscope, otoscopes, etc.)
to transmit a patient's symptoms and conditions.
We will first set up video conferencing equipment to simulate the interaction between
a nurse's computer and a patient's computer.
Then, the students will build GUIs for both the nurse and patient computers.
A possible scenario interaction is as follows:
- a patient login
- if a patient is registered then skip to step 4
- otherwise, register to the nurse information system
- a patient fill out the questionnaire
- a nurse and patient conversation
- utilizes remote medical peripherals (vital sign monitor, electronic stethoscope, otoscopes, etc.) to transmit patient's symptoms and conditions
- the nurse fills out the prescription
- the patient receives and prints the prescription