NWH Healthy Kids Website
The President's Council of Northern Westchester Hospital created a coalition of community leaders to launch a special initiative to improve the health and well being of children in Northern Westchester. Initially, the focus will be on nutrition and fitness. The coalition driving the effort includes town supervisors, superintendents of school systems, educators, health care professionals and leaders of religious and community organizations in several local communities.
As a reference point, following are the mission, vision and strategy of the coalition:
At this point, several projects are beginning to take shape:
- Mission: Develop healthy children in Northern Westchester who adopt an active lifestyle, eat nutritiously and have a positive sense of well-being.
- Vision: Make Northern Westchester a model community for raising healthy, fit children
- Strategy: Create a coalition of influential community-wide healthcare, education, business and civic organizations committed to the healthfulness of the children of Northern Westchester, to:
- Promote, educate and advocate for nutritious eating habits and physical activity among our children
- Provide a dedicated web-site to serve as a clearinghouse and facilitate the sharing of information among members and the public
- Provide information and information exchange via conferences, symposia, workshops
- Create a network of professional and dedicated lay members with expertise in nutrition and physical activity
- Work collaboratively to initiate and support one another's projects
- Provide a PR and communications plan to promote coalition initiatives
- Seek grants, in-kind donations and other support funding for coalition
- Passport P'ville:
Under the leadership of Dr. Don Antonnechia, superintendent of the Pleasantville Union Free School District, and in collaboration with the Coalition and working with local community resources, the goal of the Passport is to help children develop and sustain habits to support a healthy lifestyle. Projects will include learning to eat healthy and responsibly and being physically active on a routine basis. Students in the Pleasantville school system will receive passport booklets and have the opportunity to fill them with stamps which recognize that they're walking to school; planning, purchasing, preparing and eating healthy meals with their families, visiting local parks and walking the trails, working in community gardens and much more. When the passports are filled, the students will qualify for passport completion awards
- Improving the quality of food/snacks served in pre-school, enrichment and after-school programs in the area:
This will involve clarifying the options, cost (and way of managing the cost burden) of improved food choices, education and marketing of the recommended changes to parents and participating children, etc. We're just pulling this together.
- A policy oriented forum/conference regarding sustainability, improved nutrition, change management in this arena, etc. This will likely be driven by Pace; discussions are just beginning
- PR and Marketing:
Developing a PR and marketing plan to spotlight the work of the coalition as we move along, both to communicate with our 'end customers' and build the perception of credibility and value of our efforts to this audience
- Website (focus of this project)
The focus of the project is to create a website with appropriate content and functionality.
The website URL will be at www.HealthyKids-NoW.com with the title Healthy Kids in Northern Westchester.
The website should be an easy to use and highly relevant site for people in Northern Westchester. A great many appealing sites and lots of useful information are scattered across multiple web locations. Our goal is to cherry pick what's of interest and usefulness to local professionals in the children's health arena, parents and children. Design and graphics will be essential to capture attention and sustain active use.
Issues regarding the website will include administration, flexibility of updating, ease of navigation for users, ability to selectively e:blast, loading of complementary links, design and graphics, technical support and monitoring # hits.
Initial thoughts include:
- Section 'About the Coalition for Healthy Kids', including mission, history, relationship to NWH, leadership, how to get involved/volunteerism, contact option
- Monthly calendar listing upcoming events of interest in the area
- E:mail group capability for Coalition members and appropriate others to exchange in-group e:mails
- E:blast capabilities
- Ability to post links as connectors to other sites of interest
- Column(s) of the month:
- Childhood health
- Farming on your own; CSA's local organic farms,
- Farmer's Markets in the area and their schedule
- Food/fun foods, slow foods, fast but healthy foods, cooking in quantity and freezing/storing for quick use
- Cooking techniques
- Exercise regimens
- Annual or ad hoc fitness and/or outdoor events
- Sports for kids
- Sports for kids and their parents
- Ways for parents to increase kid's activity level
- A day a week without TV, PCs, Game boys...
- Stress relief options