Chapter 3 - Practical exercises
1. Describe the main feature of each of generic software processes
models. Describe their advantages and their disadvantages.
2. Consider the last time your worked on a project.
- What project was it (2 lines)?
- What software process model did you follow? Why?
3. Exercise 3.1
4. Exercise 3.2
5. What are the main activities of the software process?
6. What is a CASE tool?
7. Describe a non standard CASE tool you used and the situation where you used it.
8. Describe what is extreme programming. Give a reference.
9. Look at some formal specification languages:
Method B - reference: http://www.afm.sbu.ac.uk/b/
CASTL - reference: http://www.brics.dk/Projects/CoFI/
What do formal specifications and formal methods in general provide in the software engineering?
10. What is CVS? Reference: http://www.cvshome.org/
11. Microsoft, software engineering, formal methods
To read: http://research.microsoft.com/~gurevich/annotated.html paper number 151
Logician in the land of OS: Abstract State Machines at Microsoft
Sixteenth Annual IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science
IEEE Computer Society, 2001, 129-136.
What do you think after reading this paper
12. To read: Do software engineers need mathematics? http://www.maa.org/devlin/devlin_10_00.html